Rugby: Otago coaches backed by bosses

Otago coach Steve Martin has received full backing from his bosses.

Otago sank to 12th in the Air New Zealand Cup after its weekend loss to Hawkes Bay and did itself no favours, with four teams due to be relegated at the end of the season when the competition is slimmed down for financial reasons.

Relegation is not based solely on playing and financial performance but Otago Rugby Football Union chief executive Richard Reid has already said Otago will have to work hard to stay in the top division.

Reid said yesterday he was disappointed with the result and the performance on Saturday.

"But that would be the first time anyone has said to me they were disappointed with the performance.

"Lots of people have been disappointed with the results this year but not the performance," Reid said.

"Last year, the side was accused of not playing with a lot of passion.

"But that is the first time I've heard that this year."

He was fully supportive of Martin and assistant coach Bruce Carvell.

Otago had a good draw to finish the season, with four of its final five games at home, Reid said.

He pointed out the even nature of this year's competition.

"The Hawkes Bay CEO said before last week if they had lost, they'd be bottom of the table.

"Now they've won two games and are in the top four."

ORFU chairman Ron Palenski was supportive of Martin and Carvell, and he "liked to think" the union would comfortably be in the top division next year.

The weighting criteria for top division qualification are: financial (30%), playing results (20%), community rugby (25%), player development (15%) and population (10%).

They are calculated over a four-year period.

Palenski said the ORFU board backed the coaching staff and would review the season with them next month.

Palenski was disappointed with the performance against Hawkes Bay but hoped for improvement against Bay of Plenty at Carisbrook this Saturday.

 

Add a Comment

OUTSTREAM