Defections, mainly caused by the start of the European Seniors Tour in a fortnight, have robbed the $30,000 City of Dunedin Legends Pro-Am at Balmacewen this week of several big-name players.
Michael Clayton and Simon Owen, second and fourth-equal in the Handa NZ Senior Masters at Millbrook yesterday, have withdrawn from the Otago Golf Club's inaugural event along with Peter Fowler and David Merriman (eighth yesterday).
Millbrook winner Mike Harwood and third-placed Wayne Grady had never planned to play in Dunedin.
Clayton, who left yesterday even before the prizegiving ceremony, and Owen intend playing in the opening senior tour event in Brunei later this month and getting there in time to prepare for the tournament meant they had to bypass the Otago Pro-Am.
But confirmed starters for Balmacewen include well-performed Australians Mike Ferguson and Garry Merrick, who shared sixth place at Millbrook with one-under-par totals of 215.
Merrick said he had never played in Dunedin and was looking forward to his trip south, even though he did not know what to expect.
"It's been sensational so far and at my stage of life I'll approach it like I do everything - just go out there and enjoy it, like I did today.
"I even took my camera out there today, in case I got bored with the golf.
I took a few shots, too.
It's a beautiful part of the world."
Rodger Davis (ninth), Craig Owen (equal 10th) and Sir Bob Charles (equal 12th) are also expected to play in Dunedin.
Sir Bob, who said he had "putted my way to oblivion" yesterday with a two-over-par 74, played beautifully on Saturday when he notched a two-under-par 70, beating his age (73) by three shots.
But an opening 77 on Friday had put him out of contention.
"Yes, that was disappointing, especially when I know the golf course here better than anyone," he said.
Sir Bob designed the original 18-hole layout at Millbrook.
The Handa NZ Senior Masters has been confirmed for next year at Millbrook, for a minimum stake of $180,000, although the three-day-event may be held earlier.
Wayne Smith, of Vault Sports Management, which looks after sponsor Dr Haruhisa Handa's many golf commitments, said a date of early January, 2011 had been pencilled in.
What impact that new time slot would have on the newly-established "southern swing" of four senior events being held this month at Pegasus, Millbrook, Kelvin Heights and Dunedin is unclear but Smith did concede it might mean the Millbrook tournament may be a one-off event next year.